We gave it two coats of undercoat and three top coats with white gloss paint. The timber was so dry that it completely soaked up the paint.
We painted the uprights the same colour as the wall so they wouldn't stand out too much.
Hubster constructed it into its new form. The construction was the quickest part, taking him less than an hour from beginning to hanging on the wall.
The hardest part of the project was the matter of how to attach the boxes to the wall with the least impact on the wall itself. Two reasons for this:
1. We rent and this means that we have to be very careful about what and how we attach items to the walls.
2. The walls are made of fibro board which contains asbestos. The less one tampers with this stuff, the better.
We solved this dilemma by making frames which hubster screwed to the boxes and then using hooks and eyes attached the boxes to the top cover strip. Only six small holes are in the cover strip. These can very easily be patched when we eventually remove the boxes from the wall. Happy solution. I must add that it took quite a bit of thinking and discussing to work it out. Once that was decided, the rest was smooth sailing (so to speak). And the cost... only a few dollars for the screws, hooks and eyes. We had every thing else already
And the comment of the night... Ra said that since there is still a little space, she can acquire a few more bears.
Linking to some parties.