03 May, 2012
Teen 2 chose her doona cover from an online catalogue. She loves it; simple, geometric and blue / white Oh and NO florals.
only it isn't actually BLUE - it's PERIWINKLE !!
I first spotted the shade difference when she made up the bed and saw it against the definitely blue walls.
It didn't begin to be a problem however until I tried to match the shade of not-blue-but-periwinke in order to make a cover for the newly purchased bolster. Teen 2 - Ra and I wanted a print with the same blue and a contrasting colour, preferably green or orange.
Forget trying to find a match.
No blues in any of the shops worked with it.
Neither did the lilacs and purples.
This shade falls in the gaps between blue and purple - AKA PERIWINKLE
Hmmm. Time to put on the thinking cap and have another go at it.
I could piece it ... I was hoping to find one print and call it good. Not going to happen.
So I was starting to come around to the idea that I would be piecing it.
If I could I find a fabric - any fabric with the right shade of not-blue-but-periwinke, then I can add another colour by piecing it with the periwinkle.
This was rapidly going from a simple project to a much larger one.
Back to the first large fabric shop with the discounted quilting cottons.
After more searching I found a fabric that was not there last time and HAS the right shade of periwinkle in it. I found plenty of contrasting shades, many of them florals or kiddy prints so they were ruled out immediately. At least there was hope in that side of it. I still wanted to tie it back to the original colour at least a little bit.
Finally I found a bright green print with a dot of bright blue (not periwinkle) that had possibilities.
Then i found a blue and green print with the EXACT shade of periwinkle in small amounts. It was the ONLY print in the store with the right shade on it. Of corse there was a draw back... the green in it is olive not bright green (Ra wants bright green) AND it was a borderline floral. Borderline because it isn't actual flowers, just geometric flower-like patterns. By this stage I was feeling desperate and decided that if my girl rejected it, then I liked it enough to add it to my non-stash (the fabric stash one has when one doesn't have a fabric stash).
For good measure I tossed in a fat quarter of pale blue with bright blue dots - it at least matched the walls.
Thankfully Ra likes the print with the little bit of periwinkle in it... her preferred part is the little vine-like bits with the dot-flowers.
Here it is laid out on the doona,
Up close... periwinkle-not-blue doona cover, not-quite-floral-print with periwinkle and olive green, bright green print with dots of blue.
Now I just have to work out how to piece it together...